Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Synesthesia and Cymatics

Synesthesia- I am actually really fascinated by this concept. I wonder what it would be like to hear a name that comes with a taste, or to see colours every time I hear a certain musical note. To people born with this, it does not seem like a big deal, but I feel like you are enhanced on your senses when they crossover. This crossover lets people feel their interactions with life a little deeper. It is like a whole new understanding of the world around them.
I was very appreciative of the musical video featuring the girl playing the violin and sharing with us the kinds of colours she sees and how she sees it when she hears certain notes. It was a beautiful light show, and I cannot imagine an experience like that. I could see the downside of it at night while you are driving for example, but besides that I think people with Synesthesia are gifted.
Cymatics- This phenomenon is an interesting idea but anyone can manipulate sounds to create movement. It's a matter of the vibrations. People who cannot hear, can feel the vibrations of music and still feel a connection to the sound being played. In class, our example was images of sand being shifts on a plate-like object. Vibrations are a hum and that physically hum adjusts whatever is touching it. So for people who cannot hear, that hum lets them understand what others are listening to. When it is something grainy like sand, the vibration sends out waves and pulls the sand in all directions, but it usually patterns out. I find this fascinating as well and it is very experimental. People can find new ways to manipulate things like sand just by adjusting the sound waves.

No comments:

Post a Comment